This afternoon we made a funny apple cake with my kids!! It is made with wholemeal spelt flour, eggs, honey, cinnamon, coconut oil and apples :) I have also used doTerra wild orange from my friend Jennifer, at Gifts of the Earth Essential oil.
The kids loved it and it was a nice surprise when we cut the cake!! This is the recipe :)
3 medium apples
80ml of coconut oil or macadamia oil
3 large eggs
1 large orange (for 50ml of juice)
220g of wholemeal spelt flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp of aluminium free baking powder
80g of raw honey
1 tbsp. of cinnamon
12 drops of doTerra wild orange essential oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Wash and dry the apples. I recommend using organic apples to avoid pesticide residues.
- Line a cake tin with baking paper. Place the whole apples on the prepared tin. Reserve.
- Press the orange to make 50 ml of juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder and then add the honey, coconut or macadamia oil, orange essential oil, orange juice,and eggs. Combine well.
- Poor batter into the tin around the apples.
- Bake it for 45-55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving it on a plate.
Notes: you can replace the orange essential oil by the zest of the orange if you don't have essential oil.